- Talk to local community pharmacy and see if you can shadow a pharmacist.
- Reach out to your local hospital and see if you can shadow a pharmacist.
- Contact your local pharmacy school to learn more about pharmacy education.
- AAMC: If you are looking for summer programs focused on healthcare, check AAMC’s Summer Enrichment and Pipeline Programs to see what opportunities are near you.
- Explore Health Careers: If you are looking for opportunities to get involved with pharmacy, check out Explore Health Careers.
- Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP): This program provides students interested in health careers the opportunity for a transformative summer experience. This FREE six-week summer enrichment program helps college students enhance their academic proficiency and career development opportunities in a health profession. The program has been shaping careers and changing the lives of premedical and predental college students for 27 years, formerly as Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP). SHPEP recently expanded in 2016 to include a broader array of health professions, including pharmacy!Participation in the summer enrichment program may better position students for acceptance into advanced degree programs.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or an individual granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Be a college freshman or sophomore at the time of application
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5; and
- Identify with a group that is underrepresented in the health professions.
Applications for the 2017 summer program will be accepted beginning November 1, 2016.